I’m currently attempting to update the software on my phone and have been for the past hour and a half. Surely it shouldn’t be taking this long? I have things to do, places to be, people to see. But to kill time while I was waiting I thought I’d have a go at one of the many tags I have lined up.
I saw this tag over on The Blue Bore (who has a great site and I like to think of as something of a kindred spirit as we both love second hand books) and it fit the bill perfectly for the occasion.
- Do you have a certain place for reading? I try to have a book on me at all times for whenever the mood strikes so I can end up reading in some of the most random places. I probably get most of my reading done on public transport but I also have a very comfy chair in my flat that is perfect for losing myself in a book.
- Bookmark or random piece of paper? I think I own a grand total of three bookmarks but right now none of them are in books. In fact two of them I have no idea where they are at all. So I generally just grab the first thing I find – receipts, hair bobbles, socks, literally anything will do.
- Can you just stop anywhere in a book or do you have to stop at the end of a chapter? I’d rather get to the end of the chapter (in fact I’d rather just be left alone to get to the end of the book) but I’m quite happy to stop reading mid paragraph if needs be.
- Do you eat or drink when reading? There is nothing better in this world than a book, a cup of tea and a full packet of chocolate digestives.
- Music or TV on when reading? I’d rather read in silence as it means I make better progress through the book but if I’m really addicted to the story then nothing will distract me.
- One book at a time or several at once? I might start several until I find one that suits my mood but I rarely ever read books several books at once.
- Reading at home or elsewhere? I’m probably a more productive reader when I’m out and about as it means I don’t have all the distractions of home. But I don’t really have a preference.
- Read out loud or silently in your head? I sometimes try to read out loud, especially with books I know really well, as I find it’s a good way to calm myself down but in general I read in my head.
- Do you read ahead or skip pages? I don’t think I’ve ever skipped whole pages but I’m really bad for just skim reading, particularly with authors who put in unnecessarily long passages of description (I’m looking at you Charles Dickens!) or when I’m just desperate to find out what happens next in the plot (which is how I didn’t realise Lupin had died until my second read through of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows).
- Breaking the spine or keeping it like new? I break the spine, I crease the pages, I drop them in the bath, I basically destroy books. Unless they’re really, really pretty. My green Penguins I try to keep as fresh looking as possible which is very tricky as they get dirty so easily.
- Do you write in your books? As much as I can quite happily destroy them in every other way I just can’t bring myself to write in them. Though I’m not sure what I’d write. I tend to photograph passages I really like as I always have my phone on me though maybe I should start travelling with a highlighter for emergencies.
As I wasn’t technically tagged to do this in the first place I won’t be technically tagging anyone myself. But I’d love to see your responses!